Monday, June 9, 2008

MBTA TROLLEY






It was noon when the trolley was arriving at Cedar Grove stop towards Ashmont Station. I heard the noise like when a coconut falls on top of your cooler from a twelve feet height. Then I again heard another bang and another bang, a total of three.


There was nothing on the tracks that could cause the noise. I was there, across from this stop. The day was clear, sunny and hot. I took a look at the top of the trolley and there was the problem. The trolley was unhooked from the electrical cables. The bang noise was because the metal pole that connects the trolley hit the wagon as soon as it was loose and both factors, velocity and gravity, made it bang three times against the wagon very hard.

As soon as the trolley stops I asked the driver if he was okay. With a big smile on his face he assured me he was fine. He told me in a calm and knowledgeable tone that the trolley was unhooked and it was about to be fixed soon as T workers were on their way.

I hope the MBTA starts making regular checkups on the functioning of the system of the trolleys for the well being of the people that use the service as well as their own workers.

Because it was Sunday, just a few people were around. The best part of this story is that nothing bad happened.

No comments: